Food for Thought..

You are constructing your own reality with the choices you make...or don't make. If you really want a healthy pregnancy and joyful birth, and you truly understand that you are the one in control, then you must examine what you have or haven't done so far to create the outcome you want.
-Kim Wildner-Mother's Intention: How Belief Shapes Birth

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dr. Seuss for Nursing Moms

*Good morning readers, sorry its been a while, I found this fun 'poem' and thought it would go perfect with today's "going's on". Today on Facebook over 6thousand (and counting) women and men have logged off FB to prove a point.. We've changed the main photo to a breastfeeding theme. There have been dozens of profile and pictures deleted because someone flagged them claiming it "obscene and inappropriate!" When in reality its the exact opposite. There are far "worse" photos all over FB. Women nude, bikinis, lingerie, and those continue to be allowed on FB. I don't really care what someone has on THEIR facebook, although seeing naked men and womens pictures on FB is disturbing, the thing is its THEIRS, and if I don't like it, tough cookies, I just don't look! *Gasp* what a concept.. So back to FB, this absurd idea that FEEDING your BABY is obscene? If people have a 'problem' with it, just get over it. No matter what is said, or where you stand, all major medical industries will agree, "BREAST IS BEST" But I don't need them telling me that. If you formula fed great, but if you have some kind of vendetta against mothers who nurse, step off your high horse and act your age! Breasts are not a sexual idol, its society who claims that, slams pictures and music videos, magazines, movies, etc. Telling you, brainwashing you into believing they are only meant for sex. They are FIRST and foremost designed to nourish babies. Covering up, although for some women who feel that need personally, is just another way of hiding a perfectly normal act. I don't know about you, but I don't want my kids growing up thinking that babies only get cut from womens tummies and are only fed from a plastic bottle.. My own 3yr old "nurses" her dolls, she knows that babies grow in a uterus, not the tummy, and they come out of a vagina. I'm not ashamed of my boobs, I will not hide in a bathroom or cover them up. It is my legal right to nurse anywhere and anyway I choose. And FB should not try to "govern" that.. Just because someone else is "uncomfortable". (Sorry this was off subject in educational purposes, its more a rant.. ;) Enjoy the poem!)

Would you nurse him in the park?
Would you nurse him in the dark?
Would you nurse him with a Boppy?
And when your boobs are feeling floppy?

I would nurse him in the park,
I would nurse him in the dark.
I’d nurse with or without a Boppy.
Floppy boobs will never stop me.

Can you nurse with your seat belt on?
Can you nurse from dusk till dawn?
Though he may pinch me, bite me, pull,
I will nurse him `till he’s full!

Can you nurse and make some soup?
Can you nurse and feed the group?
It makes him healthy strong and smart,
Mommy’s milk is the best start!

Would you nurse him at the game?
Would you nurse him in the rain?
In front of those who dare complain?
I would nurse him at the game.
I would nurse him in the rain.

As for those who protest lactation,
I have the perfect explanation.
Mommy’s milk is tailor made
It’s the perfect food, you need no aid.

Some may scoff and some may wriggle,
Avert their eyes or even giggle.
To those who can be cruel and rude,
Remind them breast’s the perfect food!

I would never scoff or giggle,
Roll my eyes or even wiggle!
I would not be so crass or crude,
I KNOW that this milk’s the perfect food!

We make the amount we need
The perfect temp for every feed.
There’s no compare to milk from breast-
The perfect food, above the rest.

Those sweet nursing smiles are oh so sweet,
Mommy’s milk is such a treat.
Human milk just can’t be beat.

I will nurse, in any case,
On the street or in your face.
I will not let my baby cry,
I’ll meet his needs, I’ll always try.
It’s not about what’s good for you,
It’s best for babies, through and through.

I will nurse him in my home,
I will nurse him when I roam.
Leave me be lads and ma'am.
I will nurse him, MOM I AM.

Author unknown

No comments: