Food for Thought..

You are constructing your own reality with the choices you make...or don't make. If you really want a healthy pregnancy and joyful birth, and you truly understand that you are the one in control, then you must examine what you have or haven't done so far to create the outcome you want.
-Kim Wildner-Mother's Intention: How Belief Shapes Birth

Friday, December 23, 2011

Mary's Birth Story

(I wrote this a year ago.. And filtered through my work on my new computer and found it:) I decided this year I would share it!)

Christmas December 25, 2010

Today is Christmas Day.. Presents have been opened, our little ones have toddled off to enjoy their new gifts and we’re left to clean up, and enjoy the day. I listened to a song today while cooking our Christmas dinner.. It was about the birth of Christ. I’ve never really thought much about the actual Birth before.. Its usually around the general nativity and Christ. But during this song, my mind wondered to Mary..

A young woman about to give birth to her first baby. Traveling (by donkey no less..) at the end of her pregnancy, knowing that birth was near.. What she must have been thinking.. So in honor of the season, I decided to create a Birth Story for Mary, (Being a Doula, birth stories are my specialty;) in a way I think her labor and birth would have gone..

It’s late in the day as Mary and Joseph arrived in Bethlehem. The sun has set and everywhere seems to be full! Mary starts to feel a rush of intense power deep within her.. She knows that the baby will be making his entrance into the world tonight.. She doesn’t worry Joseph about them yet, as they are not painful.. Just an interesting sensation.. Finally they find a place to sleep.. But sleep is not on the menu for tonight.. There is something new in the air. And even the animals in the manger, where they would be for the night, knew it..

Joseph prepared a place for Mary. Clean water, straw and swaddling. Mary remained calm and relaxed, she trusted her body to do what God had designed it to do.. She breathed in peace and exhaled the tension.. She moved around as she labored, did whatever felt good to her in the moment. When a rush overcame her she moved with it, feeling her baby moving down. Smiling.. Knowing her son would soon be in her arms.. Joseph remained nearby to support Mary in any way he could.. Holding her, dancing with her, whispering endearing things to her..

Soon the rushes are fast, and both Mary and Joseph know its close. Mary feels her baby in her womb as he moves inside her for the last time.. Joseph stands behind Mary and holding her up as she squats on the straw, Mary breathes slowly as her sweet baby slowly merges into our world. She reaches down and feels her sons head, gently rubbing him and speaking loving words.. She gently pants as her little ones head and body peacefully slips out and into her loving arms. Mary brings her son to her breast and he is wide eyed and beautiful..

Joseph gently helps Mary to get comfortable, brings her food and drink, as she nurses her newborn son..

I imagine this is probably what Christ’s birth was like.. No drama, no one standing between your legs screaming at you to push your baby out. Just peaceful, loving and calm.. When I’ve described blissful births to women they don’t always believe its possible.. But I’ve seen it. I’ve witnessed mothers birth their babies with a SMILE on their faces!! Laughing, and enjoying the miracle they are performing. God designed our bodies to create life, to bring them into the world in a warm and loving environment.

Mary was a woman. She had no special powers, she trusted God, herself, her body, her partner. She felt safe, supported and loved.. So, Christ was born in a lowly stable.. Babies have been born in cars, bathrooms and back porches.. But I’m pretty sure Mary didn’t complain about it.. Birth is a miracle no matter where it takes place..

What an awesome time of the year to enjoy family and friends, to watch our little ones squeal with delight that Santa brought them presents.. And to reflect on the gifts Christ gave to the world.. I’m honored to be apart of the noble art of Motherhood. As I draw near to the birth of my own son, I dwell on the knowledge within me.. Trusting in God, my body that he so perfectly designed, my baby, my husband and the rest of my support team. Remember that birth is a normal part of life.. Not something to be feared or numbed.. If you allow it, it can be the most enjoyable experience of your life. Feel that power in yourself and trust in it.

I hope the holidays bring you many wonderful, heartfelt moments. Merry Christmas and happy holidays..


~Happy Birthing!